Exploration and Evaluation of Shale Gas Resources in the Middle Jurassic to Lower Cretaceous Sequences in the Lurestan Area
Exploration Directorate of National Iranian Oil Company
During the project, possible resources of shale gas in Garau and Sargelu formations with the age of Middle Jurassic and Lower Cretaceous explored and evaluated in Lurestan Area, Zagros Basin. The project consists of sedimentological and geochemical studies by means of surface and subsurface samples, petrophysical methods, structural evolution studies of the basin and reservoir and hydrocarbon system modeling as well. Through these methods and studies the capable location(s) and layer(s) as gas shale will be determined, evaluated and presented for gas production. Moreover, preliminary estimate of the gas in place and feasible technical methods for production are recommended. The newest experimental, research consequences and data processing in the field of gas shale studies is in this project.
It is evident that the results and technologies developed through this study will not be limited to shale gas resources and could be used for exploration studies of other unconventional and conventional reservoirs. In addition, gas in-place estimation of these resources could stabilize or maybe increase the rank of Iran as the second gas-holder country in the world.
- Distinguish of unconventional resources potentials in Iran
- Increasing strategic hydrocarbon volume of the country
- Determination of geological extension and properties of shale intervals
- Determination of quality, quantity, type, and thermal maturity of organic matters in the studding intervals
- Estimation of geomechanical properties of shale sequences and their hydraulic fracability.
- Gas type evaluation in the formation and the circumstance of its reservation
- Exploration risk assessment of potential resources
- Primary estimation of gas-in place for the shale intervals of the area
- Access to novel technologies to exploration of unconventional hydrocarbon reservoirs
Profits and Interests
- The rank of Iran between gas holder countries will be stabilized or possibly increased.
- These reservoirs are possibly located in faraway places in the Iran; therefore exploration and production from these reservoirs make more job opportunity and economic booms in these areas of the county.
- The distance between These resources and consumption locations is lower than Zagros gas fields, e.g. this interval is half of distance between Tehran and South Pars gas field.
- These resources are located in the cold areas and could compensate for gas shortage of the regions in the cold seasons.
- By exploration of these kinds of reservoirs, production-consumption balance is going to be positive.
- Lower pollution of gas fuel is of its advantages as compared with oil and coal fuels; therefore these resources will be more attractive in the future and indirectly will cause their economical merit or preference.
- Production from these kinds of reservoirs needs novel technologies such as horizontal drilling, hydraulic fracturing and using chemical material such as polymers as well. Practical exploitation of these reservoirs will be the reason for acquiring these technologies by Iran .